Thursday, December 17, 2009

Je reve d'un Noel blanc!

Yes, indeed, it is legitimately SNOWING in Paris! Some flakes fell on Sunday but didn't stick, so I was disappointed but also relieved that I didn't have to brave the elements. However, this morning as I was getting ready to walk to school for my last day of French language class, I looked out the window and realized that it was really snowing - and this time it was sticking to the roofs and trees! When I walked out my front door, I realized that it was not going to be a nice, picturesque walk through a snow-covered park because the snow was still very actively falling. After half a block, I shrugged, turned around, and went back to bed. You can take the girl out of California, but you can't take the California out of the girl!


The scene that greeted me this morning!

When I ventured out for a coffee date with a friend around noon, it was still snowing and I had quite a time trying not to fall on my butt on the slippery and icy sidewalk! But I made it and I'll admit the city does look beautiful under an inch of white :) It's stopped for now, but I think it will probably continue until I leave. Who would've thought?



 

 
I think a lot of people have very soggy motorcycle seats today...

Here, as promised are some pictures of my neighborhood - before the snowfall! My block isn't super interesting, but there's more up the street a few storefronts down.


My cafe! My door is the brown one on the far left of the storefront. There are always cars parked on the street so it's impossible to get a clear shot of anything!



The neighborhood boucherie, or butcher shop. Apparently it's really good quality and has won awards, and there's always a long line out the door before dinner when people are on their way home!



Finally, my FAVORITE boulangerie (bread bakery) in the world! This is the one I rave about, and whose owner and only employee is probably the nicest person I've ever met. Seriously. We stop in about twice a week to buy bread or a pastry, and he is always SO friendly and welcoming with a huge smile and a big "bonjour!" I practice my French on him when I have the time :) And, since I walk by his big window every time I leave the apartment, I often get a wave and a big smile from him several times a day! Turns out he's featured in a book called The Patisseries of Paris by Jamie Cahill (a beautiful guide to the best patisseries, boulangeries, chocolateries, etc. in the city). His name is Bruno Solques and he opened the shop in 2001. Anyway, he's my favorite Parisian person of all time and I sincerely hope I can see him again! Here we are...



I would seriously marry this guy if we spoke the same language!
 I also think he does a lot of clay work because his shop is decorated with lots of cool ceramic art (like you can see in the background). More photos to come of his beautiful pastries and bread - we're going back tomorrow morning when he has the full selection on display!







0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Exploring the city, earning my doctorate in physical therapy, sometimes sleeping and always baking! Life is a little crazy but always good - one of the things that make it all worth it is playing in my kitchen and sharing the results with the people I love.

Followers

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream